Information about study process in the autumn semester of academic year 2020-2021
Studies for international students of all study programs and courses until February 1st, 2021 * will be performed remotely.
Currently the main Vilnius university campus for clinical teaching Vilnius University hospital Santaros clinics are under quarantine. The priority of the hospital is the safety and well-being of doctors and patients. We understand and value the determination of the Clinics to work efficiently and safely, however, we also have to experience the consequences of such decision. This means that no classes, practice classes or seminars for students can be held inside the hospital and no bedside teaching can be provided. Students will be allowed to enter the Santaros clinics, however, only to the areas and classrooms that were scheduled in advanced. The biggest value of VU Faculty of Medicine is the safety and well-being of the faculty community, especially the students. Therefore, after the thorough evaluation of all possibilities and risks we have decided to carry out part of the study process remotely.
From the beginning of the Autumn semester of academic year 2020-2021 the studies will be carried out remotely for the following VU Faculty of Medicine study programmes and study levels:
- Integrated Medicine study programme, year II-VI (EN)
- Integrated Dentistry study programme, year II-III (EN)
From the beginning of the Autumn semester of academic year 2020-2021 the lectures will be held virtually but the practice classes will be carried out in classrooms for the following VU Faculty of Medicine study programmes and study levels:
- Integrated Medicine study programme, year I (EN) (from November 2nd, 2020 studies will be held virtually!)
- Integrated Dentistry study programme, year I, IV-V (EN) (from November 2nd, 2020 studies will be held virtually!)
Please note that the model of the implementation of study process might be adjusted according to the decisions and recommendations of LR Government.
Information about study process in the SPRING semester of academic year 2020-2021
Dear members of the MF community, dear students and educators,
As the spring semester approaches, we would like to invite you to get acquainted with important information about the organisation of the study process at the VU Faculty of Medicine during the spring semester of the 2020–2021 academic year. Please note that all key information is published on the MF webpage and will be constantly updated according to the epidemiological situation.
- By resolution no. SPN-91, 15 December 2020, of the Vilnius University Senate, it is proclaimed that all educational activities at Vilnius University in the spring semester of the 2020–2021 academic year are to be conducted remotely or in a blended-learning way;
- Based on the provisions of national and Vilnius University legal acts that govern the study implementation process during the current epidemiological period and the restrictions imposed by COVID 19, lectures and seminars of all study programmes at all levels in the spring semester of 2020–2021 are to be carried out only remotely.
Integrated study programs:
- Laboratory and practice work in preclinical disciplines are to be carried out remotely;
- Practical classes in clinical disciplines in hospitals may be conducted in person only if the epidemiological situation allows, taking into account the decisions and recommendations of the government of the Republic of Lithuania. Please follow the information published on the MF website;
- For 2nd-year students, Practical Nursing Skills will be conducted in person in simulator classes and hospitals in cycles in May–June.
More information on the schedule;
- The internship for 6th-year students will be carried out as planned in health care institutions (MF clinical sites) in person (for more information Study program coordinator Grazina Gabinaitiene via e-mail: );
- Activities necessary for the preparation of students’ final theses may be conducted in person, as individually arranged with the thesis supervisor;
- Examinations for courses held in cycles for 3rd–5th-year students are to be carried out remotely with the use of the SMOWL program after each cycle, with the exception of open-book examinations or cumulative final assessment;
- The form of the examination period and final examinations (in June) will be decided later, after assessing the epidemiological situation and taking into account the decisions and recommendations of the government of the Republic of Lithuania. Please follow the information posted on the MF website.
- Laboratory and practice work in preclinical disciplines is to be conducted remotely;
- Practical classes in clinical disciplines that take place in VU Hospital Santaros Clinics may be carried out in person only if the epidemiological situation allows, taking into account the decisions and recommendations of the government of the Republic of Lithuania. Please follow the information published on the MF website;
- Practical classes in clinical dental disciplines (for 2nd–5th-year students) that take place at the Institute of Dentistry and VU Hospital Žalgiris Clinics are to be conducted in person.
More information on the schedule;
- For 2nd–3rd-year students, practical classes at the Institute of Dentistry and VU Hospital Žalgiris Clinics are to be held in person with dummies;
- For 4th–5th-year students, practical classes at the Institute of Dentistry and VU Hospital Žalgiris Clinics and other clinical sites are to be carried out in person with dummies and patients;
More information on the schedule;
- Activities necessary for the preparation of students’ final theses may be carried out in person, as individually agreed with the thesis supervisor;
- The form of the examination period and final examinations (in June) will be decided later, after assessing the epidemiological situation and taking into account the decisions and recommendations of the government of the Republic of Lithuania. Please follow the information published on the MF website.
What is important to know before the start of a new semester?
First of all, we would like to remind you once again that the information regarding the studies will be sent to your official VU email addresses - . Students must also use their official VU email accounts when contacting VU community - administration staff or professors.
If you fail an exam
- Do not panic! ☺ You have a second attempt during the retake period.
- Please check when your exam is scheduled during the retake period
- If you fail an exam or do not succeed to get a pass in a pass/fail course during the retake period, still do not panic! ☺ You can retake a course! Here is what you have to do:
- Submit an application on VU Information System (is.vu.lt) requesting to retake a course. You have to do it not later than 10 work days prior to the semester starts in which the certain course is delivered.
- The fee for the retake of the course must be paid no later than by the end of the first month of the semester in which the course is delivered
- If for any reason you have signed the agreement to retake a course but did not attend the course, please inform MF Study Department about your decision to not take this course within 30 calendar days from the beginning of the semester; otherwise the fee for the retaking of the course will not be refunded.
- A debt and/or an academic debt in a prerequisite course, which must be passed before taking subsequent courses has to be cleared within one year from obtaining the debt/academic debt.
After academic leave or study suspension
If you are intending to continue your studies after academic leave or study suspension, please fill the request on VU Information System: e. student – e. applications – Request for permission to resume studies (after academic leave / suspension of studies). The request has to be submitted and the agreement signed not later than until 31th of January.
Regarding tuition fee
In case you have applied for a loan to cover your tuition fee, you may request for the tuition fee deadline to be postponed until you receive a loan. However, you will still be required to transfer the tuition fee until 1st of December (in the autumn semester) or until the 1st of May (in the spring semester). This request will have to be approved by the Dean of MF:
You may be allowed to pay in instalments but not more than in three parts. The first instalment of the tuition fee must correspond to no less than 30 percent of the payable sum and shall be paid no later than before the last day of the first month of the current semester. However, the full amount has to be paid not later than until the 1st of December in the autumn semester and before the1st of May in the spring semester.
If you sign an agreement as an unclassified student (free listener) you must pay the tuition fee within 15 days after signing the Study Agreement;
Study results recognition
If you would like to obtain a recognition for a course that you have already completed at another university, please fill the request on VU Information System – e. student - e. applications– Request for recognition of subjects (modules) / competences until 4th of February.
Other important points
- Assurance of the academic integrity will be achieved with SMOWL programme. You may find more information about installation and use of SMOWL here: https://www.mf.vu.lt/en/about/news/41-general-news/1440-study-year-2020-2021
We would like to remind you, that SMOWL CM monitoring programme identifies all the programmes, which you open during the exam. Before the start of taking your exam, please, make sure, that you open only those programmes, which you are allowed to use during the exam not use the programmes, which are not allowed (for example, programmes, which are used, when you try to access other computer remotely, including „TeamViewer“ (https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/) and „Anydesk“ (https://anydesk.com/en) programmes).
- Students are responsible for providing the correct data on VU Information System (VUSIS). Please, check all your data on VUSIS and inform us if it is incorrect. Please also inform us if your name and surname in the VU information system does not match the name on the passport. IMPORTANT: All names must be written with all language specific symbols and characters as on the passport.
Also if you change your phone number or personal e-mail, please, inform us and we will update it immediately, otherwise we will not be able to contact you. The phone number and email must be yours and not of your parents.
Please, fill the request form on VUSIS – e. student – e. applications - Application changing personal data in the university records.
- Please, fill the request form on VUSIS – e. student – e. applications - Application to register your bank account. In case you are awarded with the scholarship or other benefits, it will be transferred to the account you register on VUSIS.
- Information regarding online tools:
- All news about study year 2020 - 2021 will be announced here: https://www.mf.vu.lt/en/about/news/41-general-news/1440-study-year-2020-2021
If you still have any study related questions or problems, please do not hesitate to contact the Study Department.
Contacts of Study Department: https://www.mf.vu.lt/en/studies/study-contacts
Description of the distance studies procedure at the Faculty of Medicine
Regarding delayed / cancelled classes
No matter which way is chosen all the academic classes (except the lectures recorded beforehand with links embedded in Virtual Learning Environment) must be delivered according to the schedule. In case of delayed/cancelled academic classes please inform us immediately by filling this form. The responses are anonymous.
Upon the notification we will contact the teachers, Faculty management, and the heads of departments and clinics and find the solution together.
Short video guides
- Study challenges and how to overcome them (english subtitles)
- ABC of studies
- Internships and exchange studies at Vilnius university (english subtitles)
- Let's create together! Vilnius University Culture Centre (with english subtitles)
- Vilnius University Health and Sport Centre (english subtitles)
- Academic ethics of Vilnius university (english subtitles)
- Vilnius university library
- Stress Free Studies (english subtitles)
- Vilnius University Students’ Representation (english subtitles)
- Counseling and Training Center to Vilnius University Faculty of Philosophy
- Vilnius University Volunteer Center. Join us! (english subtitles)
COVID-19: relevant information
Students of the Faculty of Medicine who have been in contact with infected person or who have been diagnosed with coronavirus should immediately report the situation and switch to distance learning. Information should be provided to Lina Kocienė ( ); in the letter yoy should indicate your study program, course, group and contacts.
Information on Vilnius University website: https://www.vu.lt/en/covid-19
Follow these instructions:
- Wash your hands frequently. Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
- Maintain social distancing. Maintain at least a 2 metre distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth. Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick.
- Practice respiratory hygiene. Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
About exams security
The final achievement's evaluation will take place online, to ensure accademic honesty we will use SMOWL program VMA.
What should I know about SMOWL data processing?
Who does the SMOWL data processing?
Smowltech performs automated processing of personal data in order to identify and observe inappropriate behaviors while carrying out tests, exams or distance certifications, mainly in the university education sector.
Smowltech acts at all times as responsible for the treatment of the institutions to which it provides the service of identification and analysis of behaviors that may be considered inadequate. As a general rule, Smowltech offers the institution in charge of treatment (University, Educational Center, etc.) a report with the results of the analysis carried out. In case there is an incident, images ara available for the data controller to review, always guaranteeing the security and privacy of the user. Smowltech has signed the corresponding contracts in compliance with the regulations for the protection of personal data and applies the corresponding security measures, being actively responsible for guaranteeing the confidentiality of the data that it deals with.
What user data are obtained by the SMOWL system?
The user’s data obtained by the system are the following:
- Images and / or audios captured randomly by the webcam or the user's microphone, once the user has accepted the use of such devices.
- Obtaining, through the images and audios, a biometric model of the user's characteristics in order to perform the identification and subsequent verification of the user's identity.
- Exam code / user. Smowltech does not carry out any processing of user identification data other than the images and those indicated in this document, leaving in the hands of the University or Educational Center all the student’s identification data.
- Information about the browser, operating system, webcam and public IP. This information is obtained to detect possible inappropriate behaviors when carrying out the tests, exams or certifications (for example, conducting an exam from the same device, etc.).
Smowltech keeps images on its servers for a period of no more than one year, unless the university or institution indicates otherwise. Biometric data are not preserved; they are destroyed after the identification.
What are my rights regarding SMOWL user data?
Users can exercise their rights in the matter by writing to the Smowltech’s registered office or the email address indicated in the heading of this legal notice, including in both cases a photocopy of their ID or other similar identification document, to request the exercise of the following rights:
- Right to request access to personal data: you can ask Smowltech if they are processing your data.
- Right to request rectification (in case they are incorrect) or deletion.
- Right to request the limitation of the treatment, in which case they will only be retained by Smowltech for the exercise or defense of claims.
- Right to object to the treatment: Smowltech will stop treating the data in the way that you indicate, unless that for compelling legitimate reasons or the exercise or the defense of possible claims they have to continue the treatment.
- Right to data portability.
Models, forms and more information about the referred rights: Spanish Data Protection Agency website.
How to complain to the Control Authority: If a user believes there is a problem with the way Smowltech is handling his/her data, they can direct their claims to the Smowltech DPO or the appropriate data protection authority (data protection authority), being the Spanish Agency for Data Protection Spanish Data Protection Agency the one indicated in the case of Spain.
May I withdraw my consent to using SMOWL?
In the case that consent has been granted, the user has the right to withdraw consent at any time, without affecting the legality of the treatment based on the consent prior to its withdrawal. In any case the controller will be informed of the withdrawal of the consent so that he can take the appropriate decisions.
How exams will be held for students who study remotely?
For students who study remotely, all assessments and exams will also take place remotely.
My family’s income is currently declining and I am not able to pay the full tuition fee. Is it possible to pay for studies in installments?
We have recently received some inquiries about the possibility to postpone the payment or reduce the amount of the tuition fees. We would like to remind that Vilnius University offers such an option and everyone can take advantage of it. The Dean of the Faculty may allow the tuition fee to be paid in installments or postpone it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact your study coordinator! More information.
What is plan for exams?
The semester will start and end in the same mode. If studies will be held on remote mode, the exams will be organized online as well.
Will the whole semester be held remotely or is it possible that face to face teaching will start later this year?
For most students the whole autumn semester will be held remotely with no possibilities for alive meetings.The information is final and will not be changed during semester.
Is it obligatory to wear masks in the Faculty of Medicine?
Yes, wearing masks during the classes (if they take place) and in the common areas of the Faculty is required. Everyone personally must take care to have and wear protective masks. If you do not have a mask (forgot, lost, etc.), please contact any administrative staff immediately.
Tuition fee: do we have to pay less since most seminars have been cancelled?
Tuition fees for students have not been reduced even though the study format has been changed. However, for students having financial difficulties due to this situation, tuition fees may be paid by instalments or delayed until the beginning of a new semester. Please contact your study coordinator.
Where/how should we contact the doctors and professors who are providing online lessons? Also, last semester some teachers refused to give us online lessons; how can the university ensure that online lessons will actually take place?
If a teacher refuses to provide online lessons, you should contact the Department of Studies immediately. They will contact the teacher and clarify the situation.
Is any face-to-face teaching planned for this semester? Should international students try to travel to Lithuania?
International students should not try to come to Lithuania for the Autumn semester. Due to safety reasons, we do not recommend visiting the Faculty of Medicine either. This recommendation is applicable to every student of the Faculty of Medicine; Lithuanian students will be taught online as well.
What is the main reason for the decision to conduct remote studies?
Some members of our administration are coping with a positive COVID-19 test result, and others are in self-isolation. Even though we managed to prevent the spread of the virus, the threat of the virus is very near. This threat would be even bigger if we allowed face-to-face teaching for all students of the faculty. We would like to stress that if the virus spreads inside our faculty, we would have to close the faculty and end studies altogether. This outcome would of course be less appealing than the measures we are taking at this time. We truly believe that our main goal at this time is to ensure the safety not only of our staff members, but also of our students (their families and loved ones as well). This is the main reason why it was decided to carry out studies remotely.
Is the library at the Čiurlionio campus open?
The library is open. It is possible to borrow books and copying services are working. If you have any questions, please contact the subject librarian, Povilas Višinskas: https://biblioteka.vu.lt/en/science-and-studies/subject-librarians/faculty-of-medicine
Where can I find more reliable information about the virus?
The website of Vilnius University provides useful information about the virus and signs of infection.
The latest information is shared by the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Lithuania, the Harvard Medical School, and the National Public Health Centre under the Ministry of Health. The centre also offers 24-hour consultations by phone: +370 61879984.
The Corona Hotline, 1808, now operational; it is free of charge and offers 24-hour service.
More useful information regarding the coronavirus can be found here.
Why is it that only first-year students will get face-to-face seminars?
It is true that lessons for first-year students will take place face to face. We think that physical presence at the University is much more important for first-year students. Studies on campus offer the best possibility for the integration of new students into the life of Vilnius University. Being here, they will have a better possibility to experience the real vibe of Lithuania, Vilnius, and the University; they will be integrated into Faculty activities; and they will get to know each other.
How can I access the archive courses I have attended on emokymai site?
You may access the archive courses you have been attending for the last 2 years. The link to the archive is here:
• Academic year 2019/2020 – https://archyvas.emokymai.vu.lt/2019
• Academic year 2018/2019 – https://archyvas.emokymai.vu.lt/
It is also possible to access the archive directly from emokymai site by clicking the link in the menu “Kursų archyvas” / “Archive”.
Have questions? Please contact your study coordinator or Communication department!