Like other European universities, Vilnius University is based on principles of academic freedom, diversity of opinions, innovativeness, mutual respect and trust, tolerance, and academic ethics (https://www.vu.lt/apiemus/).
The Code of Academic Ethics of Vilnius University distinguishes academic freedom as one of the key principles of academic ethics. It is the possibility to openly and critically express one’s attitude to the organisation of studies and research. Adherence to academic ethics also forms the basis for other principles of activities at the university. For example, principles of academic ethics such as the impartiality of a teacher in assessing the work of students and respect for students’ privacy and the expression of their opinion are at the heart of the proper teaching process. Students, in turn, must avoid such violations of academic honesty as plagiarism, cheating, or presentation of other’s work as their own. Adherence to the principles of academic honesty is also essential in scientific research.
- These and many other situations involved in academic ethics are governed by the Code of Academic Ethics of Vilnius University
- The procedure for examining violations of this code is regulated by the Regulations of the Academic Ethics Commission of Core Academic Units of Vilnius University
- The composition of the Academic Ethics Commission of the Faculty of Medicine of Vilnius University:
- Chairman: Prof. Edvardas Danila
- Members: Prof. Eugenijus Gefenas;
- Dr. Asta Čekanauskaitė;
- Kamilė Marcinkevičiūtė (student);
- Giedrė Mikulėnaitė (student);
- Assoc. prof. Jolita Zakarevičienė.
- FAQs: Answers to the most important questions that may arise when planning to contact the Academic Ethics Commission of the Faculty of Medicine of Vilnius University
Who can contact?
Any member of the community of the University.
For what reasons can I contact?
The most important cases of academic misconduct are described in the Code of Academic Ethics.
The Academic Ethics Commission of the Faculty of Medicine of Vilnius University considers statements or complaints about members of the academic community who work or study at the Faculty of Medicine (for example, students, teachers) and administrative staff.
When can I contact?
No later than within one month from the date on which the violation of academic ethics was committed or discovered. In the presence of important reasons, this term may be extended to no more than six months from the commitment or discovery of a violation.
How to submit a statement to the Academic Ethics Commission of the Faculty of Medicine of Vilnius University?
Lodge a statement with the Administration of the Faculty of Medicine of Vilnius University that describes the violation of academic ethics. Statements may also be submitted electronically to the e-mail address: .
A statement must contain the following information:
- full name of person submitting the document, position or main study programme, the email address assigned to the applicant by the University, and submitter’s phone number;
- description of the violation of academic ethics and any additional information that serves as evidence of the violation;
- the specific request made by the submitter;
- submitter’s signature.
Can I contact anonymously?
Applications that have been submitted anonymously are not considered by the Commission.