- On May 17th, 1989 the History museum-archive of Medicine was established at Vilnius University, the Medicine Faculty.
- On May 1st, 1998 after the establishment of the Medical History and Information Center at the Medicine Faculty the museum-archive was reorganized into the Museum of the History of Medicine and became a structural unit of this center.
- In 2002 after the reorganization of the Medicine Faculty of Vilnius University the Museum became a structural subdivision of the Institute of Public Health at Vilnius University under the department of Medicine History and Ethics.
- In 1999 the Museum was registered as a departmental institution at the Ministry of Culture.
- In 2000 the Museum became a member of the Lithuanian Museums’ Association and the Association of European Museums of History of Medicine.
- In 2019 after the reorganization of the Medicine Faculty of Vilnius University, the Museum joined the Communication Department and became an integral part of it.
IN 2019 THE MUSEUM OF THE HISTORY OF MEDICINE
IS CELEBRATING ITS 30-year ANNIVERSARY!
- Guided tours
The museum offers free general or themed educational guided tours for school and university students, employees and everyone interested in the history of medicine.
We kindly invite you to pre-register for tours and educational activities by phone or e-mail indicating the age and contact details of the visitors. Up to 20 visitors can take part in the tour at a time.
National and international commemorative exhibitions are organized to celebrate the significant events of the Lithuanian state, Lithuanian and world medicine, the Faculty of Medicine at Vilnius University, and to commemorate the anniversaries of the famous specialists of the University.
In order to organize a themed, solo and other kinds of exhibitions please contact us.
The museum actively cooperates with national and foreign museums and other organizations.
Various informational, historical and educational TV and radio shows can be hosted in the museum.
For cooperation possibilities please contact us below.
The museum has an exhibition of surgical and other medical instruments and equipment of various purposes and of different historical periods; personal collections of professors and lecturers of Vilnius University, the Faculty of Medicine; photoiconographic material; drug collections etc.
The museum also has a model of the office environment of one of the former Medicine Faculty deans, professor Salezius Pavilonis.
A mobile educational exhibition "Dissemination of Medical Science at the Old Vilnius University in 1781 – 1842" is on display at the museum.
One of the oldest museum’s exhibits is P. Verheyven's medical book "Corporis humani anatomia..." published 300 years ago (1699) in Leipzig.
The Museum also features a very rare journal and photo album describing marshall’s Jozef Pilsudski's brain research.
The museum is constantly expanding its collections, therefore, if you want to donate collected material, a collection or an exhibit to the museum, please contact us using the details below.